Many patients opt for MD Anderson Cancer Center daily for cancer treatment. The reason behind this is because in addition to having decades of operational experience and top rankings nationally, the center is one of the leading cancer prevention hospital in the United States. MD Anderson provides one of the best and innovative research and clinical care that offer new treatments way before these therapies become commonplace. The hospital puts all its focus on the patient.
For these reasons, patients travel from long distances from within and outside of the United States.
Even though insurance companies cover medical treatment costs, traveling expenses are not covered. It is therefore important to make proper arrangements so that the patient can ensure low cost travel. Supposing you are not able to cover your travel expenses? You can check our directory of charitable bodies that help in arranging free medical travel.
If you cannot afford travel for medical treatment, use our directory of charitable organizations that can help arrange no-cost transportation for you.
About MD Anderson Cancer Center
The MD Anderson Cancer Center focuses solely on cancer and has dealt with all types of cancer cases. The doctors in the center deal with more cases of rare cancer in one day than what many physicians see in their careers. This means that as a patient, you get professional care regardless of the type of diagnosis.
As one of the largest cancer hospitals in the world, the center has been busy eliminating cancer for more than 70 years. The level of medical experience that you can find here contributes to every notion of your experience as a patient. Since the U,S News & World Report started its yearly ranking of the best hospitals, the center has been one of the top two cancer care hospitals in the country every year.
The physicians in MD Anderson are ranked as the best in the country in terms of healthcare, even by Best Doctors in America. The ratio of nurses to patients is the highest in the US, meaning that patients are provided with the best attention and care. In terms of using and developing diagnostic technology, the center is recognized worldwide. This front-line technology allows the doctors in this hospital to identify every patient’s specific cancer and develop a specific therapy that best suits the patient for the best results.
Patient support and education
At this hospital, attention is not only given to therapies and medications. As an exclusive cancer care hospital, support and educational programs have been developed to offer help in physical and emotional aspects of cancer while preparing the patient for life after therapy. These programs touch on the following;
- Interactive and complementary treatments: The center offers treatments that provide relief from pain while enhancing a situation of calmness and health. These includes medication sessions, yoga classes, acupuncture, music therapy and oncology massage.
- Support and counseling: These support programs entails the use of support groups, social workers and arrangement of face-to-face sharing between cancer patients and cancer survivors. Through these programs, the patients and caregivers are taken through the processes of diagnosis, therapies and treatments and beyond.
- Learning resources: the center has put in place libraries for education purposes and web-based knowledge resources to ensure that caregivers and patients have been provided with means to understanding and dealing with diagnosis and treatment processes.
- Support in lifestyle change: Lifestyle changes can make treatment become more successful while preventing relapses once the therapy has come to an end. These lifestyle change support services include exercise and physical activity consultations, diet and nutrition support, and tobacco quitting programs.
Prevention & Screening
Prevention of cancer is the foundation of MD Anderson Center in its approach to eliminating the disease. The center understands that one can reduce their risk of developing cancer by living healthier lifestyle, getting early cancer screening and having children vaccinated against the disease has also been in the center’s approach to cancer.
Getting to MD Anderson Cancer Center
Getting to MD Anderson Cancer Center is simple. You can get to the hospital from any location in the world. This is because the hospital is conveniently located in an area served by international airports.
Located in Houston, Texas, MD Anderson can be accessed by Air using two international airports. These two airports are around the same distance from the hospital;
- George Bush Intercontinental/ Houston Airport
- William P. Hobby Airport
If you are traveling to the hospital for the first time, it is good to seek flight booking help from the hospital portal. The hospital provides help to patients wishing to book flights to Houston. The best thing about having them help you is that they make it free to change your return flights. This is because the patient may not know the exact return dates or the time it will take to experience proper treatment and get back.
Once you are in any of the above airports, you can get ground transportation easily. The information desk in the airports will be handy here. MD Anderson patients are provided with travel discounts once they use Enterprise Car Rental Services in Houston. SuperShuttle is one of the most convenient airport shuttles that will take you to the hospital from the airports. If you wish to use a taxi from the airports to MD Anderson, the following taxis are good to go;
- Fiesta Cab Company
- Lone Star Cab Company
- Square Deal Cab Company
- United Cab Company
- Yellow Cab Company
The Hospital also provides ground shuttle services to areas close to its clinics and departments. A shuttle takes approximately 25 minutes finishing a lap.
If you need to fly to MD Anderson Cancer Center Stanford,use our Flight Search to find the best fares.The closest airport to MD Anderson Cancer Center Stanford with commercial service is William P. Hobby Airport. MD Anderson Cancer Center Stanford is around 13 miles from William P. Hobby Airport (Get Directions Here).
If you are flexible, or have not yet booked your appointment, use our Price Calendar to find the best days to fly and book your medical appointment accordingly.
By Public Transportation
You can get to MD Anderson using bus services. Among the most important of bus transportation service providers for the hospital and neighboring areas include the following;
- Houston Metro Shuttle System: This can take patients and their loved ones to wherever they want in town.
- SuperShuttle System: This will take patients and their companions to any airport that they wish.
- Uber and Lyft are inexpensive and convenient options for local transportation. Click on the links to sign up with one or both of these services before your trip.
- If you need medical transport, for example, wheelchair transportation, use our medical transport directory to find options in the San Diego area.
- Finally, if you would prefer to book a ride in advance, use our advance ride finder.
Lodging Options for MD Anderson Cancer Center
There are many lodging options that patients accessing MD Anderson Cancer Center can use for their stay while undergoing treatments. Some of these hotels that offer free shuttle services to the hospital include the following;
- Jesse H. Jones Rotary House International:
- Residence Inn West University:
- Crowne Plaza River Oaks:
Depending on your preferences, there are many other lodging options for the hospital. The following hotels are less than a mile from the hospital
- Houston Marriott Medical Center Hotel:
- Hilton Houston Plaza Medical Center:
- Wyndham Hotel and Suites Texas Medical Center:
- Extended Stay America Med. Ctr. -Reliant Pk. -Braeswood:
GET IN TOUCH
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030