City of Hope is the leading research and treatment center in the world in diabetes, cancer and other severe diseases. The center provides scientific breakthroughs that serve to make lives better again. In its operations, the center focuses on compassion in its approach, using it as the fuel behind all their discoveries. Since its inception in 1913, the center is among the only 49 centers in the United States providing comprehensive cancer treatments as recognized by the National Cancer Institute. Every treatment that the center comes up with serves to offer patients an opportunity to enjoy longer, healthier and more fulfilling life. For these reasons, patients travel from far and wide.
It is notable that insurance companies cover treatment costs but not travel expenses. For this reason, you need to plan well so that you can keep your travel expenses to the minimum.
If you are planning to travel to City of Hope, the resources on this page will help you navigate the area and select the best possible travel options.
If you cannot afford travel for medical treatment, use our directory of charitable organizations that can help arrange no-cost transportation for you.
You can get to the City of Hope from any part of the world by air. This is because there are both national and international airports that serve the area near the hospital. The following airports can be used to access City of Hope Hospital from anywhere in the world. They are arranged in order of how close they are from the hospital.
- Ontario International Airport
- Burbank Bob Hope Airport
- Long Beach Airport
- Los Angeles International Airport
Once you are in any of the above airports, you can take a cab to the hospital. There are information desks in the airports where you can get brochures on where and when to travel by the means of your choice.
If you need to fly to City of Hope, use our Flight Search to find the best fares. The closest airport to City of Hope with commercial service is Ontario International Airport. City of Hope is around 27 miles from Ontario International Airport (Get Directions Here).
If you are flexible, or have not yet booked your appointment, use our Price Calendar to find the best days to fly and book your medical appointment accordingly.
By Public Transportation
If you are planning to travel by bus to the City of Hope Hospital, there are quite a number of buses that you can use. The closest stations to the hospital include the following, all of which are a few minutes’ walk to the hospital;
- Duarte Rd And City Of Hope E
- Duarte / City Of Hope Gold Line
- Duarte / City Of Hope
- Duarte / Hope
The area is served by a fleet of buses that include Bus lines 267/264 and 272. You therefore need to check the bus schedules for the time convenient for you to get to this medical facility.
- Uber and Lyft are inexpensive and convenient options for local transportation. Click on the links to sign up with one or both of these services before your trip.
- If you need medical transport, for example, wheelchair transportation, use our medical transport directory to find options in the San Diego area.
- Finally, if you would prefer to book a ride in advance, use our advance ride finder.
Lodging Options for City of Hope Hospital
There are quite a number of lodging options for family and friends with patients being attended to at the City of Hope medical facility. The following are the nearest hotels and places where one can get lodging services if one is not from the area. They are all within three miles to the hospital;
- Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Monrovia:
- Residence Inn Pasadena Arcadia:
- DoubleTree By Hilton Monrovia – Pasadena Area:
- Hampton Inn Los Angeles-Arcadia:
- Embassy Suites By Hilton Arcadia Pasadena Area:
- SpringHill Suites Pasadena Arcadia:
There are also other hotels and suites that are a little farther off and you therefore need to consider whether you need to drive to the facility or use public means.
About City of Hope
City of Hope is committed in turning around the lives of patients suffering from diabetes, cancer and other severe diseases. Its mission is that of transforming the healthcare future by using science in the provision of realistic health gains. This they do by offering excellent care, engaging in ingenious research and providing practical education programs that focus on eradicating these illnesses.
The center’s leadership in healthcare, foundational and clinical research, and the use of science in providing practical benefits is globally recognized. The hospital has brought together a team of professionals that include scientists, research associates, allied health experts, doctors, nurses, graduate students, marketing experts, fundraising professionals, extensive support staff, and volunteers. For this purposes, the team is guided by the desire to provide treatments, transform the healthcare future and save lives.
- City of Hope is a comprehensive cancer center along with 48 others in the US, the highest title that can be given by the National Cancer Institute
- The center is ranked as one of the “Best Cancer Hospitals” in the United States by U.S. News & World Report for more than 10 years.
- The Hospital is one of the founders of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network. This means that the protocols of research and treatment used in the hospital serve to promote healthcare throughout the country.
- The City of Hope has done over 13,000 bone marrow and stem cell operations to date. His shows the high levels of experience in bone marrow and stem cell transplants.
- In the fiscal year of 2016 alone, the hospital was able to attract more than $87.8 million in research grants and also got around $333.7 million from patented technologies.
- The hospital has earned 4-stars rating (the highest) from the country’s watchdog, Charity Navigator. The rating shows the hospital’s excellent fiscal management as well as financial expansion and strength.
Information for Patients and Visitors
Patient visitors are not only welcome but also encouraged to pay visit to their loved ones during their stay at City of Hope. In case you need additional information about visiting the Duarte Campus facility, you can call 626-256-HOPE (4673), ext. 61143.
The general visiting ours at the City of Hope are from 8am to 8pm every day. For the primary visitors (the closest family members and friends to the patient) are given wristbands so that they can have 24 hours visitation privileges. But in order to provide the patient with the best healthcare and safety, staff may request that visitors leave and wait at the visitor lounges that are located near the elevators on each floor of the facility.
The hospital offers interpretations for free to patients and caregivers whose first language is not English. For these purposes, you need to call 626-256-HOPE (4673), ext. 62282, to talk to an expert in the Clinical Social Work office.